Morton E. Converse started his business career manufacturing acids in Converseville, New
Hampshire . In 1873 he purchased a nearby mill to make wooden
products. Apparently he started making toys there but soon teamed with Orland
Mason of Winchendon, Massachusetts to form the Mason & Converse Company
which lasted until 1883. Converse then partnered with his uncle Alfred C.
Converse and Converse Toy and Woodenware Company was formed. In 1887, the
company changed its name to Morton E. Converse & Company. This company
remained in business until 1934.
Converse made a great variety of toys including Noah's Arks, doll furniture,
kiddie riding racers, hobby horses, floor whirligigs, drums, wagon blocks,
building blocks, pianos, trunks, ten pins, farms houses, and musical roller
Such a large number of toys were made in Winchendon, Massachusetts that it
became known as "Toy-Town".